Thursday, June 12

French (Old) Onions Soup ver 0.01

Simula ngayon, lagyan ko naman ng backstory kung bakit ito ang niluto ko...

Isang araw, nagutom ako dahil sa sobrang kakafacebook.

Tumingin ako sa ref at dahil sa nakita kong laman (or lack of thereof), naalala kong di pa pala ako nakapag-grocery.

Let see what we have here inside the ref's vegetable drawer; six old onions, two old sweet potatoes, a shriveled ginger. I have other things inside the ref of course, but for this story's sake , there is nothing else in there.

Google, what can I make with onions, sweet potatoes and a ginger?

"Sweet potato and ginger soup." google immediately replied.

Thank you google, and so french onion soup it is.

End backstory.

Ingredients

4 red onions (out of the 6, 2 looked a bit dehydrated so they had to be taken cared of)
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp McCormick minced garlic
1 Knorr beef broth cube
1 tbsp muscovado sugar

Procedure

1. Chop the onions. The internet recommends cutting the onions lengthwise from root to stem but I read this too late. I cut the onions in rings.

2. Into the cast iron pan, melt the butter over medium heat.

3. Cast the onions into the flames! I mean, over the melted butter inside the pan.

4. Stir them onions around for 25mins. I had to lower the heat when some of the onions looked burnt.

5. Add the muscovado. Stir some more, 5min-ish. (The internet recipe said white sugar but this is what I have right now. Muscovado sticks to the skillet so I had to scrape it off every now and then. The sugar supposedly helps the caramelization of the onions.)

6. Add the garlic. (Again, the internet recipe called for fresh chopped garlic but again this is what I get for not grocery-ing.)

7. Chop the broth cube and then put into the pan. (I could have used my rice cooker to prepare the broth but I have rice in it)

8. Add 4 cups water.

9. Mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.

10. Serve with roasted chicken. (Important step, makes the onion soup tastes so good!)

Comments

Tastes onion-ishly sweet.
I brought leftovers to work and people said it tasted good. Well, they are good friends so they had to say it tasted good or else fb-unfriending will commence (yes, I'm that sensitive and shallow).

For next time

Use fresh garlic. Less sugar perhaps?
Prepare the broth separately.

Personal Rating: ★★ 
Yup, I have a personal star system now.


★             - not fit for human consumption
★          - ang importante ay may nakukuha kang nutrition
★       - ok na sana kaso parang may kulang
★    - pwede nang for regular rotation sa meal plan
- i should sell this

No comments: